Monday, February 24, 2003

I just came home from another weekend of C&C:Generals. Boy, it sure gets better every time I play. I managed to finish the China campaign. The damn GLA Scud Storm was annoying. It doesn't require power, which means the damn turbaned terrorists could have as many as they want as long as they have space. 0_o Plus mobile Scud Launchers hiding in the mountains armed with high explosive warheads aren't any fun either for my lumbering Overlord Tank army. Oh well, a speed upgrade, a cannon upgrade, and two or three propaganda towers on the strike force solved that. The rest of the Overlords were equipped with Gatling Cannons mounted on their turret. I mean, it's amazing how those Chain Guns could outshoot the Depleted Uranium Shells of the Overlord. The fights usually started with the Chain Guns blazing and ended with the cannons smoking. But what really gets my goat is the GLA Rocket Buggy. Small, fast, and damn long-ranged, units less armored than my regenerating Overlords tended to get blown up. But I eventually climbed atop their mountain hideout and gave them what they deserved. Thanks to a quad of Migs stationed in my airfield, as well as the mandatory Nuclear Missile silo. So that's what the Chinese do with their uranium in this game: after using them for fuel for their Nuclear Reactors, they use them for tank ammo. Smart people, them. Also smart are their Hackers: each one, when ordered to hack the Internet for money, produces at least $5 per 3 seconds. Get ten of them, and thats $50 every 3 secs, and they level up the longer they stay connected on the 'Net. The cash flow turns to $6, then $8, and finally L337 H4CK3R5 get $10 every cycle. I ended the last mission with a couple of oil derricks providing me with cash ($200 per cycle, I don't know how often, though) and 20 Hackers.
It allowed me to build a couple of War Factories and a steady flow of Overlord tanks.

I'm playing the GLA campaign now.

The GLA are sneaky thieves. I mean, really. The following units: the Technical (a pickup with a machine-gunner in the back), the Marauder (a medium tank which requires a General's promotion to build), and the Quad Cannon (bigger pickup, 3 more machine guns for use against planes and choppers and soldiers) can get significant upgrades when they salvage enemy parts by running over the steel carcasses. (They look like crates, and salvaging them also gives the GLA money.) The Marauder gets more armor and two cannons at max, the Technical gets a rocket grenade attack, and the Quad Cannon's shots look like lasers. Plus, the GLA general has an ability to get cash bounties for each kill made, up to 50% of the destroyed unit's or structure's price, even soldiers. Add that to the Black Market, which gives a $20 tip every cycle, and you have a lot of money for your Scuds. I guess in this game, as well as in a certain Southeast Asian country, crime does pay.

No comments: