Sunday, September 12, 2004

I'm writing again. No, that's not totally true - I'm back to writing in my blog again. Not that there's anything earth-shaking to write about, in my point of view.

During my absence, I seem to have gotten myself a girlfriend along the way, muddled through a change in majors, and have landed in graduating class.

I've been addicted to online gaming, MMORPGs in particular. Especially the ones that are free. Free is good. As my brother would say, free is beer.

I don't drink beer. It doesn't agree with me - no sort of drinking alcohol does. Sadly, the same could be said to those MMORPGs that I've recently discovered.

I am vehemently anti-PK, no matter how much the bastard deserves it. (For those not in the know, PK stands for Player Killing - instead of hunting down monsters, PKers prey on weak and weak-looking players. This sub-race of gamers really makes me wish I was a hacker - I'd have wiped them guys out but good.) Too often, Pking and PKers abound in those games that are free - which is a sick sorta thing. Cases in point - Mu Online, Conquest Online, and from the look of the control panel, Sky Blade.

I mean, what the fuck is up with those sickos? I can understand wanting revenge for some guy bad-mouthing you, or killing monsters you've worked so hard to bring to near death (known as Kill-Stealing or KS), or stealing the items that your kill dropped (known as Looting), but damn it all, lashing out against bystanders?

I guess one could look at MMORPGs as a medium for those immature individuals to let loose their psychotic, anti-social, sociopathic, and homicidal tendencies. If viewed that way, the RPG in MMORPG for them then translates to "let's go kill other people online because I can't get away with it in the real world."

Sucm-of-the-earth PKers might argue that they ARE playing a role, that of a bad guy. A villain. After all, what fantasy world would be complete without them, right? If that's their case, why don't they just sit in a corner and stick their thumbs into their noses? Kahit sila ang tanungin mo, they would not like the idea of some other person sitting by a keyboard over-killing them just for the sheer hell of it. So, why do they persist?

Power-tripping? Perhaps. Most likely. In a way, it's saying, "Nya, nya, I can do whatever I want, like kill you, so hah." Wow, that's so mature, Pointdexter, now it's time for you to go back to watching Sesame Street.

What it seems to me is, it smacks of noobery (the practice of being a noob, a newb = newbie, aka first-time player) not just in the gaming world but in the real one as well. Ultimately, no matter how many other players PKers send to their Maker, sadly, it won't make their penises grow. Not even an inch.

No comments: